Dover Police Service is issuing an alert to owners of Hyundai vehicles due to an increase in thefts and attempted thefts of Hyundai Elantras and Sonatas. Over the past 7-10 days, Dover Police Service has investigated at least five incidents of attempted or successful vehicle thefts of these makes and models of vehicles, specifically the 2015-2017 model years . The suspects are using a method of “hot-wiring” vehicles to steal them. To prevent further incidents, the Dover Police Department is withholding details of the “hot-wiring” method used by the suspects.
Two vehicles were locked by the owners before the theft, but the majority of the vehicles were not secured. Incidents occurred at all times of the day, including daylight hours.
The following images show two suspects and the interior of a stolen vehicle during a June 28 incident in Silver Lake Park where the suspects crashed the stolen vehicle into a pole and fled.
Tips to prevent auto theft
- Park in a garage if possible.
- Park so that your vehicle is “stuck” in your driveway.
- Park in well-lit areas/Use motion activated lights/cameras away from home if possible
- Lock and secure homes and garage doors. Doors left unlocked allow vehicle theft suspects to search for keys and steal vehicles undetected.
- Close and lock all windows and doors when parking. Most vehicle thefts can be prevented by locking your car doors.
- Secure your valuables.
- DO NOT leave your keys in your vehicle. Keys and FOBs must NEVER be left in a vehicle, whether at home, at work or running errands. Take your keys with you!
- DO NOT leave your vehicle running unattended. Warming up your car on a cold winter morning or walking into a convenience store while your car is left running and unattended makes you vulnerable. A car thief is looking for these easy targets!
For additional tips on preventing vehicle theft, visit NHTSA VEHICLE THEFT PREVENTION
If you would like to provide information about this case or any other criminal activity, please contact the Dover Police Department at (302) 736-7130. Callers can remain anonymous. Tips may also be submitted to law enforcement through Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333 or online at delaware.crimestoppersweb.com; a cash reward is possible for information leading to an arrest.
If you or someone you know is a victim or witness to a crime or has lost a loved one to sudden death and needs help, Dover Police Victim Services Unit is available to help and guide you. You can contact the Victim Services Unit at 302-736-7134 or by email at: [email protected]
You can follow the Dover Police Service by clicking on:
Dover Police website